We LOVE this month’s product feature because you can easily create beautiful baskets in an instant! The Basket Frames are ideal for small storage around-the-house or it can be used for other purposes. Imagine organizing in-style! Whether you use yarns, raffias or fabric strips, you can achieve personalized baskets with little effort. Each week we will be featuring hand-made baskets for the home, office and special occasions.
The Basket Frames comes in two pieces to make two baskets. There are 3 shapes— Round, Oval and Square in small and large sizes. The material is made from sturdy cardboard and it has a smooth finish which is perfect for weaving those fancy fibers we will be using this month. The basket making process is very simple. First add your basket base using felt or fabric, weave yarn around each frame until you get to the top rim. Add decorative trimmings, stitch trim around the basket and you’re done!
What you’ll need to get started
· Cut the round base included in the package, trace to felt or fabric and cut. Attached to the frame with glue (this will be your basket bottom). Wind yarn by following the instructions.
· Finish your top frame by winding yarn around the rim. Use Wonder Clips to hold the yarn and continue winding until the frame edge is no longer visible.
· Insert darning needle from the bottom of basket and sew yarn through holes using an overcast stitch. Go around the rim until the yarn is secure. Hide yarn and you’re done!
Yarns are versatile and it’s a great fiber for the Basket Frames. Here we made baby baskets for a Baby Shower using Lion Brand Yarns. Use pink for girl or baby blue for boy.
Things to remember when using Yarns:
· There are a variety of yarns and ANY YARNS will work.
· Chunky yarns will take less time and less amount of yarn.
· Use variegated colors or alternate yarn colors.
· Don’t be afraid to use bright yarns. A pop of color is eye catching and refreshing.
· Theme it and style it!
Use Wonder Clips to hold the trimming around the rim or clothes pin will work too.
Try using your old, worn T-shirts. Cut t-shirt in long strips and use it to weave for a repurpose look.
The Basket Frame is a great start-up craft project. Share them with friends and family.
April 12 – Fabric strips. How-to cut in a continuous strip to use with Basket Frames.
April 19 – Raffia and Ribbons
April 26 – Hand-made Gift Basket ideas
Win a gift basket valued at $100.