Enjoy this free project sheet featuring Nancy Zieman’s new Bodkins, items will be available for purchase the beginning of June.
Want to print the project sheet? No problem download it here, under project sheets.
Nancy created this project sheet to show you the many uses of her new bodkins. You can see them in action at Spring Quilt Market in Minneapolis at Clover’s booth # 2301!!!
My excitement has been building as I’ve awaited the launch of Clover’s new bodkin tools. The wait is now over! I’m pleased to introduce to you the Flex ‘n Glide Bodkin, the Clip ‘n Glide Bodkin, and the Elastic Lock Set! Three useful new sewing notions that work well independently or together.
Flex ‘n Glide Bodkin
The Flex ‘n Glide Bodkin is a long flexible bodkin featuring an elongated “eye” with grippers. The elongated eye accommodates ribbons and trims up to 1-1/2″ wide. The “grippers” hold trims and elastic in place while pulling through the casing. The handy length and flexibility allow for a smooth passage—even along curves.
Clip ‘n Glide Bodkin
The Clip ‘n Glide Bodkin is my new go-to bodkin for casings that are 3/4″ and larger. The clip provides a firm hold on elastic, ribbon, trims, and cording, for pulling through casings with ease. The exceptional flexibility ensures a smooth passage along straight and curvy areas.
Elastic Lock Set
The Elastic Lock Set includes the Elastic Lock and Flexible Bodkin. The Elastic Lock firmly holds elastic or trim ends and prevents the end from slipping into the casing. The Elastic Lock is also ideal for securing multiple rows of elastic. The flexible bodkin features a 1″ eye with grippers.
Super-Quick Circle Skirt
For this project, we’ve selected McCall’s pattern M6994 and a textured knit fabric.
- Stitch front and back, right sides together, at side seams using your serger or your conventional sewing machine set for a wobble stitch. A wobble stitch is a narrow zigzag (.5 width and 2.5 length) stitch. This ever-so-slight zigzag provides a little stretch in the seam while looking like a straight seam from the right side.
- Pin waistband sections, right sides together.
- Stitch sides with a wobble stitch, leaving a 1-1/2″ opening at one side.
- Press seams open.
- Fold waistband, wrong sides together, and pin or baste.
- Pin waistband to skirt, right sides together, and stitch.
- Insert one end of the elastic into Clover’s Clip ‘n Glide Bodkin.Clip the Elastic Lock to the opposite end of the elastic.
- Pull elastic through the casing using the pointed end of the bodkin.
Note from Nancy: Create a bulk-free elastic seam by zigzagging elastic ends to a swatch of firmly woven fabric. Cut away extra fabric.
- Hem skirt using your favorite method. Or for a more casual look, no hem is needed if the fabric is a knit. If you’ve serged the seams, be sure to pull the serger tails into the seam and add a drop of seam sealant.