Quilter’s and Sewers make your fabric stash useful!
Do you need to make a dent in your fabric stash? Why not make them useful by making hand-made baskets? It’s easy and they’re a lot of fun to make. We’ll show today how you can transform your stashed fabrics to fabulous hand-made baskets.
The baskets below are made with Batik fabrics in spring colors. We used ribbon to wrap the rim around the basket. Plus we’ve added Kanzashi Flowers to give it a special touch.
Top Row from left to right: Rectangle, Oval, and Round in large sizes.
Bottom Row from left to right: Square, Oval, and Round in small sizes.
Tip: We used an empty water bottle to wrap our fabric strips. This trick is surprisingly helpful.
Directions: How to cut fabric in long continuous strip.
1. Fold fabric in half with selvages together.
2. Bring the fold up to 1/2” below the selvage edges.
3. Cut in 3/8” segments through the fold, but not through the selvages.
4. Unfold once, cut the fabric apart between strip one and two starting from the left hand side of the top selvage edge
5. Then cut between every other strip thereafter.
6. Return to the bottom selvage edge and starting from the left hand end, cut between every other strip.
Enjoy your basket making! Till next week.
April 19 – Raffia and Ribbons
April 26 – Hand-made Gift Basket ideas
Win a gift basket valued at $100.